A light blanket of snow fell on the North Shore mountains this week and Whistler recently got 35 cms of snow. Winter is coming, which means it is more or less time to retire leafy salads for dinner.
Tonight my husband went to walk the dog while I made dinner, and before he left he said, “Can we have something yummy for dinner? Please don’t make me eat kale.” I laughed a little because it is true. No one craves salads at this time of year. So here is a quick, easy, comforting and healthy dinner recipe that will keep you warm (and lean) on a chilly night and that follows the ‘Complete in 3’ rule; healthy fats, protein and fibre on your plate to balance your blood-sugar levels.
Simple, Comforting and Healthy Roasted Chicken and Veggie Dinner
- Four pieces of thigh bone chicken
- Half head of cauliflower
- 2 medium carrots
- 2 medium beets
- 1 onion
- 1 sweet potato
- 1 tbsp-ish of creamy feta cheese
- 2 tbsp of butter
- Wedge of lemon
- 2-4 tbsp of olive oil
- Thumb size portion of coconut oil
- 1 tbsp. French’s Deli Bold n Spicy mustard
- 1/2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- Small drizzle of maple syrup
- Small droplet of Chili Garlic sauce (you know the Vietnamese kind with the green top and the rooster on the bottle)
- Fresh thyme
- salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 (I use convection).
- Make the chicken marinade: Mix 2 tbsp of olive oil with mustard, apple cider vinegar, maple syrup, chili hot sauce, thyme and salt and pepper in small bowl. Place chicken in mixing bowl and toss with marinade. Place on baking sheet and place in the oven for 25-35 minutes until crispy.
- Chop carrots, onion, beets and potato and place in corningware. Toss with coconut oil (melt in microwave) and salt and pepper. Place in oven for 35 minutes or until veggies are soft or desired texture. Once out of oven, toss feta cheese on top and stir.
- Chop half head of cauliflower into manageable sizes. Melt butter in microwave. Place cauliflower in bowl and toss with melted butter, squeeze of lemon wedge and salt and pepper. Place on baking sheet in the oven for same length of time as chicken, until edges start to brown.