The City of North Vancouver has some lofty ambitions for the Lower Lonsdale Shipyards district and Lot 5. Today they released a list of attractions and visual renderings for the future community space.
- an outdoor public skating rink for use during the winter months, including a looped skating trail to complement the open rink area.
- a water play zone for use during the summer months, with a combination of pools and sprayers
- a covering for weather protection over the entire open space, complete with a retractable portion to allow for an open water play area in the summer
- significant heritage elements incorporated into the site development such as the use of the ‘Machine Shop’ building as the covering structure over the open space
- enhanced public stage
- underground parking
- a commercial component, which will include restaurant, retail and proposed hotel use (hotel use will require rezoning)
- public support spaces, including public washrooms and unique community programming opportunities for both small and large events
- rubberized and non-skid surfaces, ample seating and viewing areas
- connection with the Spirit Trail and multiple access points for multi-modal transportation
“This is a turning point for our City” says Mayor Darrell Mussatto. “The development plans for The Shipyards exceed our expectations. This is exactly what people have been asking for. As promised, The Shipyards will be a people place, a gathering space, vibrant with activity and amenities for young and old, residents and visitors alike. We will deliver a dynamic waterfront like no other, completing the revitalization of the City of North Vancouver Central Waterfront.”
A Public Information Session will take place on Monday, April 25th at the Pipe Shop from 6:00pm-8:00pm.
A North Van local with a fetish for cheap wine and words. As editor, his job is to make sure that everything posted is useful, entertaining or awesome.
In Other News...
#LowerLonsdale Monthly Photo Contest – January 2019
February 11 2019
#LowerLonsdale Monthly Photo Contest: December 2018
January 10 2019
#LowerLonsdale Monthly Photo Contest: November 2018
December 11 2018
Polygon Gallery’s light display is more than you think…
November 28 2018
#LowerLonsdale Monthly Photo Contest: October 2018
November 04 2018